RE: LIS educational issues

I do agree with the latter two contributors concerning the need to discuss
Lee Anne's concern. The topic may have been "too tongue-in-cheek" as the
moderator laments but the issue she raised is worthy of discussion. We are
seeing many cases where the custodians of information resources (e.g
librarians, booksellers, etc) do infringe on the authors' and publishers'
copyrights hence denying the copywriter owners the benefits of their
labors. I would like to plea that we avoid the language Lee Anne used but
discuss her major concern, which is abeting a crime. I am aware of the
fair use clause, which unfortunately has been violated in every respect
especially in institutions of higher learning. Let us discuss this aspect
and see how best the subject can be taught in LIS schools, for this is
where information professionals are trained.

Bosire Onyancha
University of Eastern Africa, Baraton
_____

"Sloan, Bernie" <bernies@uillinois.edu> wrote:

Samuel, Believe it or not, I agree with you.

I am very concerned with LIS education issues. And I don't think we should
cut off discussions like this. That wasn't my point...my point was that
when someone makes accusations like this, he/she should provide
documentation.

This might be a really good opportunity to broaden this discussion...if
the LIBLICENSE moderator agrees...

Bernie Sloan

[MOD. NOTE: See the message below... of course, education about topics
such as copyright and licensing are appropriate for the list and are
most welcomed!]