RE: LIS educational issues

I teach a course at Palmer on "Electronic Library Materials: Collection
and Acquisition" . It's been taught twice times, the spring of 2002 and
the spring of 2003. It will be taught again this winter.

The two times it was taught before, 3 of the 10 sessions, and 2 of the 6
exercises, were devoted to matters of licensing, contracts, and
negotiation.

This time, I expect to have fewer sessions and exercises on that topic,
because licensing terms are much more standardized, and there is not
usually that much to negotiate except for matters such as distance
learning and multiple sites (and sometimes pricing).  But it is still
necessary to watch out for something peculiar from those outside the
mainstream of academic publishing.

The credit for this, as we all know, goes to this list in general, and the
moderator in particular.

However, the sessions on copyright will still be needed. If anything, the
details of this subject have become yet more complicated.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu