Re: Note from Tim O'Reilly

I suspect that Tim O'Reilly was only 'taking this out of the realm of
copyright law' because he was making the point that whatever the law of
copyright now says, the circumstance in which these rights can be asserted
or defended is changed by technology innovations. Its rather probable that
Google will endeavour to remain on the right side of the law in the matter
of copyright.

== Are book publishers aware that music publishers put almost identical
warnings on CDs to the blanket prohibition on copying storing transmitting
etc that book publishers put on title pages? These printed
music-prohibitions are now almost as much observed in the breach as in the
performance. When copying print to generate electronic copies (PDF or XML)
becomes as prevalent as audio recording is now, publishers will be unable
to insist on or enforce copyright prohibitions that can now be enforced

== Joe Esposito points out that publishers do not usually own the
copyrights that they assert and whose rights they depend on. So its a
mistake to imply as he does that its only the publishers property rights
which are at issue. What is at issue is also and primarily the AUTHOR'S
property and publishers owe duties to their authors as well as to their
shareholders. I make this point because if it becomes apparent that
'knuckle-headed' publishers are not effectively exploiting electronic
rights that they commonly seek from authors their position in the market
is long term at risk -- much more at risk than by doing a deal with Google
which encourages Google to deliver revenues to publishers and authors.

Google's position is strong in the sense that they have parked their tanks
on the lawn and will be showing what can be done with out-of-copyright
material and with the in-copyright material of acquiescent publishers.

We should perhaps interpret Google's pause in the matter of processing
in-copyright books in library collections as a matter of 'reculer pour
mieux sauter'.

Adam

Adam Hodgkin