Re: More on Google Suspends Scanning Copyrighted Works -- ForNow

Limiting my comments to the copyright law portion only, I would correct
the statement that the libraries would "be within their rights to scan the
books and make an internal copy."  Section 108(1)c of the Copyright Act
only permits Section 108 libraries to copy entire published works for
replacement purposes if their copy is damaged, deteriorating, lost,
stolen, or in an obsolete format and only if they have determined that an
unused replacement cannot be obtained at a fair price.  Furthermore, if
they make a digital copy, that copy cannot be accessed outside the
premises of the library.

That only leaves Section 107, fair use, as potential authority for
digitizing their copy of a book.  The first action- copying an entire book
- is what is in controversy here and that act is almost certainly beyond
the scope of fair use.  The second act - transmitting the "snippets" - is
another thing altogether.

And even if the library was within its rights to digitize an entire book
(under the 108 conditions above), the legislative history of 108
specifically states "It would not be possible for a non-profit
institution, by means of contractual arrangements with a commercial
copying enterprise, to authorize the enterprise to carry out copying and
distribution functions that would be exempt if conducted by the non-profit
institution itself."

Peggy
--
Peggy E. Hoon