Re: More on Google Suspends Scanning Copyrighted Works -- For Now

Could one not argue that, at this point, books constitute an "obsolete
format" as defined in the Act? I also, just as a personal comment not
based on any particular legal knowledge, doubt whether this restriction of
non-profits to doing their own work and not being allowed to contract with
a commerical vendor would hold up in court. In many cases libraries,
especially state institutions, are subject to open bidding laws. I could
see a private vendor being very upset that they were denied a chance to
bid on an opportunity for a large copying project. In fact, isn't what
Google is presently doing a violation of that very aspect of the law/ To
my knowledge there wasn't a regular bidding process involved with Google
to insure that the citizens of particular states were being offered the
services at the lowest possible cost. And if I'm wrong I stand corrected. perhaps bidding wasn't needed in that case. And, finally, in any event,
one is really splitting hairs here. What would the difference between
having an outside company do a project and a situation where the project
is done internally -- but advised by an "outside consultant" who tells the
library how to do it step by step -- what equipment to buy, the process to
use, etc etc. In essence what you have then is simply a big money
laundering operation where the project really is managed and being done by
a commercial operation, just under the auspices of the university.

Karl Bridges
100 Bailey Howe Library
802-656-8132

Peggy Hoon wrote:

Limiting my comments to the copyright law portion only, I would correct
the statement that the libraries would "be within their rights to scan the
books and make an internal copy."  Section 108(1)c of the Copyright Act
only permits Section 108 libraries to copy entire published works for
replacement purposes if their copy is damaged, deteriorating, lost,
stolen, or in an obsolete format and only if they have determined that an
unused replacement cannot be obtained at a fair price.  Furthermore, if
they make a digital copy, that copy cannot be accessed outside the
premises of the library.

That only leaves Section 107, fair use, as potential authority for
digitizing their copy of a book.  The first action- copying an entire book
- is what is in controversy here and that act is almost certainly beyond
the scope of fair use.  The second act - transmitting the "snippets" - is
another thing altogether.

And even if the library was within its rights to digitize an entire book
(under the 108 conditions above), the legislative history of 108
specifically states "It would not be possible for a non-profit
institution, by means of contractual arrangements with a commercial
copying enterprise, to authorize the enterprise to carry out copying and
distribution functions that would be exempt if conducted by the non-profit
institution itself."

Peggy