Re: Open Access and For-Pay Access (to the same IR materials)

Brian's model describes a scenario in which Navigational interfaces are
marketed rather than the actual data. Enhanced access is the real value. This seems reasonable, if we want to remove the existing copyright
blockage to non-commercial material. He leaves the identification of funds
to support the data repositories out of his model, and these costs may be
insignificant if inexpensive collaborative archival platforms are
developed. It is important to recognize that even these reduced repository
costs will require new funding paths and models. (Perhaps direct
government funding a la arXiv? But this is for another message.)

Regardless, if I read his proposal correctly, I think there is an
underlying problem with his model:

A primary intention of new scholarly distribution models is to identify
revenue to support the peer review process, the most important part of
scholarly communication.

Under Brian's model, a non-commercial developer might be able to produce a
less expensive version of navigational tools and drive down these costs. This is a good initiative, as a portion of the savings could be
re-directed toward peer review subsidies through some unstated pathway.

However, these navigational tools are often owned by entities unrelated to
the peer review process -- and therefore the majority of the revenue will
not be re-directed toward subsidizing the essential peer review costs. Perhaps we have done exactly the opposite of what we need: we do want to
separate the support of peer review and data delivery -- but this model
will emphasize the use of institutional subsidies for revised delivery and
navigation mechanisms rather than the peer review process.

Perhaps there is another unrelated plan for subsidizing the peer review
process?

It seems that this plan provides a model for organizations to pay for the
navigational tools, but leaves out the related and high priority support
plans for repositories and peer review. These are parts of the existing
subscription model and need to be addressed by any new subscription model.

David Stern Director of Science Libraries and Information Services Kline Science Library 219 Prospect Street P.O. Box 208111 New Haven, CT 06520-8111
david.e.stern@yale.edu