RE: creative commons licencing

I am not familiar enough with the varieties of the CC licenses to say
which would be accepted and which not.

However, the question is somewhat beside the point for us, because authors
are required to sign our own copyright assignment forms; we do not accept
other copyright forms. Our standard form includes these provisions:

Reuse. Authors are permitted to reuse portions of their ADA-copyrighted
work, including tables and figures, in their own work, and to reuse
portions or all of their ADA-copyrighted work for educational purposes,
provided that the proper citation and copyright information is given.

Post-prints. Authors are permitted to submit the final, accepted version
of their manuscript to their funding body, such as NIH, or institution for
inclusion in their funding body or institution's database, archive, or
repository, or to post the final, accepted version on their personal Web
site. These manuscripts may be made freely accessible to the public 6
months after the final publication date. See the journal's instructions
for authors for the mandatory statement of provenance and other
requirements.

This is the statement of provenance:

"This is an author-produced electronic version of an article accepted for
publication in [ADA JOURNAL TITLE]. The definitive publisher authenticated
version [complete citation information] is available online at [URL or
DOI]."

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association
1701 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311
703/299-2033
FAX 703/683-2890
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org

>>> aotg20@dsl.pipex.com 4/1/2005 8:45:11 PM >>>

Perhaps Peter Banks could clarify whether the American Diabetes
Association is currently amenable to authors self-archiving their papers
under Creative Commons licences? If not, does he expect it to be amenable
in the near future?

And if it is (or is likely soon to be) acceptable for ADA authors to
self-archive under CC licences which of the 11 licences (e.g. combinations
of permissions) specified by Creative Commons does he think would be
acceptable, and which would not be acceptable?

Richard Poynder
Freelance Journalist
www.richardpoynder.com
http://poynder.blogspot.com