RE: creative commons licencing

I am not sure that Michael Carroll is suggesting publishers accept other
copyright forms, but rather the Addendum he referred to in his original
message (see URL below). As he puts it: "A second version of the Addendum
in which the author simultaneously reserves these rights and then grants
the Creative Commons license is in draft".

This would seem to imply that authors could self-archive their papers
under Creative Commons by means of the SPARC Addendum, while still using
the publisher's copyright form.

But perhaps Michael Carroll could clarify?

Regards,

Richard Poynder
www.richardpoynder.com

Peter Banks said:

> I am not familiar enough with the varieties of the CC licenses to say
> which would be accepted and which not.
>
> However, the question is somewhat beside the point for us, because
> authors are required to sign our own copyright assignment forms; we do
> not accept other copyright forms.

Peter Banks earlier said:

The intent of the addendum is entirely reasonable, from a publisher's
perspective. We are amending our copyright agreement to allow the types of
uses outlined in the "Author's Retionion of Rights."

I would urge SPARC to work more closely with publishers in developing such
a document so that we don't wind up rejecting papers that deserve
publication in a timely manner.

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org

Michael Carroll said:

To achieve the result Brian suggests below, the SPARC Author's Addendum
alters a publication agreement so that the author retains all rights
necessary to grant a Creative Commons Non-Commercial-Attribution License.

<http://www.arl.org/sparc/author/addendum.html>

A second version of the Addendum in which the author simultaneously reserves
these rights and then grants the Creative Commons license is in draft.

Best,
MC