Re: DOAJ update

Joe presupposes that his solution would in fact result in a more reliable
database. This is a possibility, but it is not necessarily so.

My company, Openly Informatics, collects and maintains information similar
to that provided by DOAJ for about 60 providers and almost 600 different
products. We charge our customers a hefty sum for access to the data, and
they happily pay for the quality assurance.

From that perspective, I can fairly say that DOAJ does a excellent job in
a very difficult problem space. Open-access titles span a great range of
situations and fields of endeavor. Business models for e-journals are
multiplying, leading to a very complex cataloguing environment. We are a
"user" of DOAJ as well, and the DOAJ staff are more responsive to our
"feedback" than a large fraction of the for-profit providers that we
interact with.

Speaking as a businessman, I do not think that Joe's suggested business
model for DOAJ would maximize return on investment.

Eric