Re: Ann Okerson on institutional archives

Of course Ann Okerson is correct.  Stevan Harnad's notion of an
institutional repository is his.  IRs are being built everywhere.  Many
are expensive, complicated, and hard to use.  DSpace, which is perhaps the
best known, requires sophisticated systems integration.  Furthermore, IRs
are NOT being built solely to further the kind of self-archiving that
Harnad advocates.  They are being built as institutional knowledge
management systems, with one aim being to do precisely what Harnad says
they are not being built for, which is to compete with the value that the
traditional publishing system adds.  I believe that this is a wholly
misguided effort, but let's describe it for what it is.

The problem here is the usual one with Harnad's comments.  There is a
party going on, but it is not entirely his party.  There is interest in
experimenting with digital media, but it is not all his experiment.  He
stands to lead a revolution, but the crowd disperses in numerous
directions.  He is without doubt one of the key thinkers, and perhaps the
leading activist, in the publishing industry today, but he is not the only
talented and creative individual in scholarly communications.

Why oh why would anyone want to stifle such a chorus of beautiful minds?

Joe Esposito