RE: Ann Okerson on institutional archives

On what rationale does Stevan consider that the "would-be users whose
institutions cannot afford the journal's official version" deserve access
only to the less-than-final version his preferred form of OA would
provide?

Does he mean that only those at rich institutions deserve the real
articles, and the rest can make do with substitutes? Or does he mean that
the differences between the official and the OA versions are so small that
the OA readers are not disadvantaged?

If he means the later, and I believe he does, then on what basis does he
think the rich institutions should pay for the official version? They
would be buying what they do not need, what apparently nobody actually
needs. He can only intend that the rich institutions buy the official
version solely for the purpose of funding the overall system. Ann, and
others at such institutions, not unreasonably object. They may at best
have sufficient funds to cover their share, but this form of OA expects
them to pay for everybody.

If all we really need is peer review, is the rest of the journals system
an expensive and unnecessary byproduct ?

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu