Re: Open Access & Conservation Commons

And, I might add that IUCN (The World Conservation Union) and The World
Bank have both used "informal" versions of the CC non-commercial,
attribution-required license scheme for many years (IUYCN since ca. 1987)
-- consequences have not appeared to be disastrous for either body...

And since I'm writing to this list, occurs to me that it may be of
interest that we succeeded in passing a "recommendation" in support of the
"Conservation Commons"  at the World Conservation Congress in Bangkok,
Nov., 2004 -- I believe the final vote tallies were 79 national
delegations for 1 against (US abstained) and ca. 150 NGO's for... SEE:
http://www.iucn.org/congress/members/adopted_res_and_rec/REC/RECWCC3085-%20REC037E%20Final.pdf
(recommendation) AND http://conservationcommons.org/

Tom Moritz

Co-Chair -- Information Management Task Force
World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA)
IUCN (The World Conservation Union)
http://wcpa.iucn.org/taskforce/info/info.html

Harold Boeschenstein Director of Library Services       212-769-5417
American Museum of Natural History                      212-769-5009  FAX
79th St. @ Central Park West                            tmoritz@amnh.org
New York, New
York  10024                               http://libcat.amnh.org/
USA                                                                     GMT -5