What is Open Access?

Stevan Harnad wrote the following:

"The Open Access movement is focused primarily on one specific form of
content: articles published in peer-reviewed research journals and
conference proceedings. Its target is not books, textbooks, magazine
articles, newspaper articles, sheet music, audio recordings, video
recordings, software, etc."

JE:  This is sheer nonsense.  Open Access is not a trademark.  Google the
term and you will see any number of meanings for it.  I haven't taken a
count, and don't plan to, but my impression is that for most people who
have heard of it, OA applies to all content, as in "information wants to
be free."  The poorly written and biased Wikipedia article has a broader
view than Stevan Harnad, and the Wikipedia is an OA publication.

--
Joe Esposito