Dual Publication : Emerald's Response

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:16:46 EST
From: GCrawford@emeraldinsight.com
To: liblicen@pantheon.yale.edu
Subject: Dual Publication : Emerald's Response

Please could you post the message below to this list - Thank You
____

Dual Publication:  Emerald's Response

We respect the right of the author to pursue this kind of study and have
extended our full cooperation, including personal conversations between
the author and one of our Directors.

We accept that explicit notice of dual publication should have been
published alongside each article and regret any inconvenience as a result
of that notice not being given.  However, the activity was not without the
knowledge of the authors as implied, as all reasonable steps were taken by
MCB to contact and inform the authors of our intent to publish their
article in another journal.

During the period 1989 to 2000, articles considered to be of particular
merit were occasionally published within another MCB journal where it was
felt that their content would be of interest or benefit to the additional
journal audience. Today, Emerald relies on comprehensive databases and
search engines to provide wide dissemination of noteworthy articles.

In addition, when certain journals were acquired, previously published
articles were used to help where we had inherited a significant delay in
the despatch schedule.  Again, we acknowledge that explicit notice of
re-publication should have been made when it took place in these
circumstances.  To put this into context, the re-publication of articles
in Clinical Performance in Quality Healthcare was from the British Journal
of Clinical Governance, with which it was subsequently merged (within 12
months) and for which there was an identified subscriber overlap between
the two journals of five customers world-wide. We have conducted our own
research and will contact all those customers affected.

In order to explain to researchers and users working with Emerald content
now, and in the future, that certain articles were published twice in
different journals, Emerald is adding a "note" to the SGML (which is the
header information) following the abstract ,which will explain where else
the paper has been published.  This work will be completed by the end of
2004.

There has been no deliberate dual publication since 2001.  There are two
accidental instances of dual publication to our knowledge in recent times
- one a book review and one an article that appeared in Equal
Opportunities International.  This is a journal owned and published by
Barmarick Publications.  The content is not owned by Emerald, but is
currently hosted on the Emerald website.

To reiterate, our policy is not to practice dual publication.  We may,
however, occasionally re-publish an article with the author's consent and
full attribution.  These circumstances may include a themed collection or
review issue, a landmark paper/classic article or an anniversary issue of
a notable journal.

Publishing practices at Emerald today emphasize our communication and
service levels to customers.  We are dedicated to building lasting
relationships with librarians and faculty members and to focusing on the
future.  In 2002 Emerald was awarded the Charleston Advisor Award for
customer support.  We regularly survey our authors and library customers
to gauge their views on how we serve their needs, and the results are very
positive.  Ongoing communication with our stakeholders provides valuable
feedback to improve the service to our author, library, researcher and
user communities.

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience caused to our authors and
customers and fully acknowledge that attribution should have been given.
We now have an explicitly stated policy and are correcting the SGML of
affected articles.

If you were affected by any of the issues covered within this response,
please contact:

Gillian Crawford
Head of Corporate Communications
Emerald Group Publishing Limited