RE: Covert Article Republishing Discovered in Emerald/MCB UP 1989-2003

Please remember that the Emerald/MCB structure uses two kinds of editors:
an academic editor and a managing editor.  The managing editor is an
employee of Emerald and has responsibility for an entire suite of
journals.  For example, Eileen Breen is the managing editor of all the
library science journals.  What I discovered is that article duplication
occurred within journals managed by the same managing editor.  What I also
discovered is that duplication also occurred between fields managed by two
or more managing editors (i.e. between management and library science;
between engineering and management, medicine and management, etc.).  One
could only deduce from these findings that the coordination of article
duplication happened within and above the managing editor level.  In other
words, it may be the case that Emerald/MCB practice was an
institutionalized policy.  No other explanation could account for the
often systematic pattern of article duplication.  There are too many
examples for this to be chalked up to a simple mistake.  Duplication of
entire issues and entire volumes indicates a highly coordinated business
policy.

I have no explanation for why the academic editors did not know, but it
does raise a whole other set of questions about academic integrity.

--Phil Davis