From: "Laura Cox" <laura.cox@johncoxassociates.com>
To: "'Sally Morris'" <sec-gen@alpsp.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 10:24 AM
Subject: RE: copyright protection paper

Hi Sally

Apologies for the late reply I have been out of the office for a number
of days.

The apparent differences could be ascribed to the difference in the
particular publishers surveyed.  Or indeed to the fact that we were
surveying their current policy (what we were told in their
questionnaires) rather than what is contained in their actual copyright
agreements.  As John has mentioned to me, it is likely that the
documentation is out of date in many cases.

Additionally, we did not survey the publishers in exactly the same way,
RoMEO surveyed publishers on the basis of whether they allowed posting
articles to websites at any stage (or all stages) in the publication
process.  We however split this into pre-publication and
post-publication in a different way, looking at where these articles
would be permitted to be posted as separate questions.  Our answers
therefore do not correspond to the RoMEO survey as we did not ask
publishers if they would allow posting pre-publication, post-publication
or both.  Rather would they allow posting pre-publication and if so to
what and separately, would they allow posting post-publication and if so
to what.

The numbers are unlikely to correspond as this is the case, we have
actually provided further detail on this subject on what authors are
actually allowed to do with their material.

I hope that this clears this matter up.

Kind Regards

Laura Cox, Consultant
John Cox Associates Ltd.