RE: Price discrimination for academic subscriptions (discussion)

If I remember correctly, did DIALOG not -- at the requests of many
librarians, who preferred a *predictable* fee structure over what might be
deemed a more "fair" one for budgeting needs -- begin flat-free charging
instead of or as an alternative to (only) per-search, per-view,
per-minute, etc. charging about ten or twelve years ago?  The budgetary
unpredictability and administrative overhead may make a "by-the-drink
pricing model" unappealing to libraries (I does to me).

Now, if e-journal and aggregator database providers and academic libraries
could at least agree on consistent pricing tiers based on student FTEs, as
long as that model is used ... for one product, the price goes up at 1500
FTE, for another, at 2000 FTE ...

--
 Stefan Kramer
 Director of Library Services