RE: Open Access pricing and the perceived ability of research

It seems that even David Goodman is taken in by Elsevier's hype!
Although the original Elsevier company was founded by Lowys Elsevier in
Leyden in 1580 (and was mainly developed by his grandson Isaac who
instituted the "Non Solus" colophon in 1620) the dynasty died out in
1720.

The present company took the Elsevier name and colophon when it was
formed in 1880.  It has no connection with the original family of
Elsevier.

(I have taken these details from "The Elsevier Non Solus Imprint" by
Lucy Schulter and Pierre Vinken published by ES in 1997.)

For the record LC was founded in 1800, the BL in 1754 and Princeton is
the oldest of the lot (1746)

SNIP

David Goodman wrote:  Additional security is offered by the growing
willingness of national libraries to undertake this fuction. To give
some perspective on the expected survival of institutions, I note that
Elsevier has been in existence longer than Princeton, LC, or the BL.

SNIP

Andrew Braid
Licensing & Copyright Compliance
The British Library, Boston Spa, Wetherby, West Yorks, LS23 7BQ UK
T +44 1937 546030
E andrew.braid@bl.uk