Questions: RE: Vanishing Act -- continued

Stephen,

my reply, quite simply, is that I would expect the publisher to not
withdraw the article and pay the damages if it eventually loses the case.
My reason for this is that if the publisher acts otherwise, legal caution
will surely induce him to to withdraw articles which might not be found to
be in violation if the fullest possible vigorous defense were to be made.
Indeed, you demonstrate this my saying it is the common practice to
withdraw when the claim has "some" basis or "reasonable potential of
success."  That is a standard I think unacceptable for academic material.