RE: Questions: RE: Vanishing Act -- continued

David

I appreciate that publishers have a role of assessing whether any
particular challenge is real and has adequate grounds, and should be
willing to stand their ground where the legal grounds for a complaint are
insufficient.  I do not though believe it is realistic to expect that
publishers could as a matter of standard procedure treat the law in the
way you recommend.  I also question whether the focus of the debate on
this list so far (about Elsevier's policies) is correct in assuming that
those policies are different, at least on the specific issue of withdrawal
on legal grounds, from those which would be applied by many learned
society publishers and university presses.

If the integrity of the academic record is a critical public good, then
legislators should be lobbied to create special protections for work which
is part of that record.  Publishers have to work within the law; if the
law was different, their policies would change.  Alternatively, the record
should be protected by other means, for example in the kind of distributed
archiving envisaged in the LOCKSS proposal.

Stephen