Re: FBI's reading list worries librarians

I suspect that there are people around who could resurrect the eradicated
information after the book is returned.  But I was serious when I
suggested the possibility that we consider not recording the information
at all, and accepting the losses. I think we could design arrangements so
the losses would be not much greater than at present. (would they even,
perhaps, be less than the circ part of the system costs?) I have worked in
two libraries where the circulation system didn't actually work, and the
staff merely pretended it did (one manual, one punched card based). I
don't think we really need do this now, but if things get worse...

David Goodman
__