Re: FBI's reading list worries librarians

While it may not be written policy per se, I think that if you looked at
the RFPs that large numbers of libraries issue prior to purchasing an
integrated library system, you would find that these libraries require the
ability to link a book and a user while the user has that book in
circulation, but that the RFP specifically states that the identification
of the user is eradicated upon return of the book.  At most, statistical
information is retained (was it a student or a faculty member, a graduate
or undergraduate, a friend of the library?) but nothing that could allow
the library to tell the FBI or any other agency that a specific person has
borrowed a specific item.

Sue Martin
Susan K. Martin, Ph.D.
President, SKM Associates, Inc.