Re: security issues (was JSTOR)

Hi Jill,

I'm not sure which publisher you're referring to that "we are all aware
of."  However, walk-in access IS and HAS been a deal-breaker for us.  I'm
not aware of any exceptions we've made.  Having said that, people cannot
just come in to the library and willy-nilly sit down at a terminal and do
whatever they want.  All users have to log-in to the system with
individual IDs.  In the case of walk-in users, once we determine that thay
are legitimate users (not information brokers and the like) we log them on
with a library ID for specific periods of time.  We do charge them a fee
by the 1/2 hour to partially cover our costs of providing the service
(computer upgrades & the like).

As a resource library for NLM and as a public facility (State) we have a
certain obligation to provide services to the community.

--
Thomas L. Williams, AHIP
Director, Biomedical Libraries and