RE: security issues (was JSTOR)

> I'm not sure which publisher you're referring to that "we are all aware
> of."  However, walk-in access IS and HAS been a deal-breaker for us.

Any term has the potential for being a deal-breaker, depending on the
product and the customer.  But if you're talking about a product that the
library's core constituency really needs, then it would seem foolish to me
for the library to walk away from the deal solely because the license
requires access to be limited to that constituency.  I'm at a land-grant
institution, and even we aren't that hard-nosed.  As Jill said, we
certainly have a responsibility to the general public -- but we have a
greater responsibility to our students and faculty.

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
The University Libraries
rickand@unr.edu