Re: security issues (was JSTOR)

Jill, I think I acknowledged that there are some resources that by
contractual reasons cannot be used by non-university patrons, and
obviously these are exceptions.

(In some cases I might even agree that the nature of the commercial use
and pricing of the resource is such that the producer can appropriately
insist on this in consideration of a special educational rate.) I
apologize if the way I worded things implied that I was taking an
inflexible position on these matters.

Printing is a problem. I think a library can (and should) legitimately
charge everyone, including its students, for printing and photocopying at
the level of cost recovery. I would argue for it on the basis of
environmental considerations even if there were no cost factors. What I
think best is for students to be allocated a certain small number of free
prints or copies, and then pay for the rest. Modern printing control
software can do this, and can also, I think, prevent the printing of
multiple copies -- I ask those who know the technology better to tell me
if I am not correct about that.

I do not advocate a pure pay per use model; what I do advocate is a
continuing consideration of elements of such models for some resources,
and a realization of their difficulties. It is obvious from the
discussions on this list that the interests of different sizes and types
of libraries are not necessarily served by any of the models so far
introduced, and I am not sure that a single fair model can be
developed--certainly not one applicable to all resources.

And of course librarians must stand up for proper observance of copyright;
I would like to see many more resources in the public domain, but it is an
appropriate -- indeed an essential--part of our function to educate the
student and non-student public about fair use of those that are not.

Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University Library
and
Palmer School of Librairnaship, LIU