Re: Copyright of previous public domain

As the publisher and copyright holder intellectual content containing
public domain material, specifically, The Darwin Multimedia CD-ROM 2nd
Edition, I would like to weigh in on this issue.  While almost all of the
core text used in the particular title is public domain, we incur
substantial costs with re-keying from hardcopy, proofreading, comparing
against various editions.  The core ASCII text is then code tagged to
SGML/XML, which, as metadata, constitutes the addition of considerable
unique value (and cost).  Once the SGML/XML code is in place, editorial
hypertext, hyperlinks between relevant passages, supplemental
illustrations, footnotes and links to associated external references are
added.  Finally, commentary is added by distinguished scholars.  Thus,
this CD-ROM title which contains the unaltered words of Charles Darwin is
protected by our copyright.  The opinion that electronic public domain
material merely had a "format" change can be inaccurate and misleading.

Pete Goldie, Ph.D.
Lightbinders
San Francisco
www.lbin.com