Re: Copyright of previous public domain

What you see as

> an attempt by both parties to
> agree upon benign language now, to get the license executed,

I see as an attempt by one party to claim rights they do not own.

I could sell you all the rights I have to all the houses on my block. I do
own one house, and the contract would I suppose be effective for it. If I
have previously misled you to think I have some rights in the others, and
you have paid me on that basis, one doesn't have to be a lawyer to know an
appropriate category for what I've done. If the total price I ask is fair
for my own house, then it _is_ a question for a lawyer. I do know that if
I try to sell property on this basis, most prudent people would think it
unwise to buy from me.

For general background on database protection, a good place to start is a
posting on this list from the ALA
http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0208/msg00071.html (see
item 2)  But I do agree that the appropriate rights in a database do or
should depend on the details of the content of the database.