Re: Copyright of previous public domain

I have respect for your work, but I wonder if your copyright would stand
up to legal challenge to the extent you claim it. Copyright requires some
element of authorship, not mere reprinting, no matter how much value you
may have put in the reprinting. I do not think that rekeying an unaltered
text is authorship in that sense. Whether the addition of the hyperlinks
is authorship is another matter, and perhaps it is. If so, you have
copyright in them, but not in the text. If I were to buy your CD, extract
your formatted text, and put it on the web without your links and
additions, I do not think you would have a legal claim under copyright
law. You might under your license, which I haven't seen.  As I understand
it, rights under copyright are subordinate to licensing terms; I think we
all would be better off if that clause in the copyright law was reworded
so that no contract could restrict rights under that law, but only add to
them.  imho, not being a lawyer.

David Goodman
Research Librarian and
Biological Sciences Bibliographer