re: Permitted Use Clause

Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:56:28 EDT
From: holman.jeni@uwlax.edu
To: aokerson@pantheon.yale.edu, ann.okerson@yale.edu
Subject: Re:  Permitted Use Clause

As Dave Fisher has pointed out, I have been too vague about the language
of the Applied Spectroscopy license.  Here is the entire paragraph
regarding permitted use (the entire license can be viewed at
http://www.s-a-s.org/license.htm):

"Licensee and Authorized Users may use an Authorized Terminal to view,
download, or print individual articles, chapters, or other individual
items from the web edition of the journal Applied Spectroscopy for their
personal scholarly, research, and educational use in accordance with the
terms of this Agreement. Licensee and Authorized Users may make a printed
copy of individual articles for internal or personal uses provided the
appropriate fees are paid to the Copyright Clearance Center. Fair Use laws
apply." I found the language confusing as on one hand they are allowing
fair use, yet are specifically limiting those rights in the rest of the
paragraph.  Thanks to all who have offered their insight into this license
- I am learning a great deal and I appreciate your help!

Thank you,
Jenifer S. Holman				email: holman.jeni@uwlax.edu
Acquisitions Librarian				phone: 608-785-8395
Murphy Library				fax: 608-785-8634
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse		http://www.uwlax.edu/murphylibrary/
1631 Pine St.
La Crosse, WI 54601