RE: Call for input on digital rights management

David, you got a point there. We don't worry about anthologies. All the
primary research articles are available, for free, in open access, so if
somebody wants to pay for a printed anthology you are putting together, so
be it.

If a profit-making commercial enterprise wants to use an article for sales
promotion and reprints thousands of them, we suggest to them to make a
contribution to a fund that allows authors to publish in open access. So
far, companies have graciously done that. The amount we suggest is in the
same order of magnitude as what they would have to pay for reprint
permission elsewhere.

We leave it to he author(s) of the article to decide whether to use the
fund to pay for his or her own future papers in any of the open access
journals BioMed Central publishes, to share it with fellow-authors from
his or her institution who wish to publish in that way (putting it towards
an institutional BioMed Central membership, which entitles to automatic
waivers of Article Processing Charges), or to put it in a general fund,
which is used to support authors from developing countries.

Best,

Jan