RE: Music companys to pay up

I note that the Congressional committee reports on section 107 include the
following:

"although the couts have considered...the doctrine of fair use over and
over again, no real definition of the concept has ever emerged, Indeed,
since the doctrine is an equitable rule of reason, no generaly applicable
definition is possible, and each case must be decided on its own merits."

and the text of the statute includes the wonderfully vague phrase

"the factors to be considered shall include..."

David Goodman
Research Librarian and
Biological Sciences Bibliographer
Princeton University Library