RE: Music companys to pay up

Hmmm.  The "clean hands" doctrine, even if it still exists which is
sometimes doubtful, doesn't really apply to this example.  It means that
someone who is not free of guilt in a "particular matter" may not seek
judicial relief in THAT particular matter.

Fair use is a matter of statute, not equity, and the ethical standards of
a particular vendor really don't come into it.

Remember, law is not about being ethical, it's about being law.