Re: National Online: Nature and Others... (like SCIENCE)

While I think that Rick Anderson makes many valid points on this list, the
logic used to argue that Science is a bargain is surely looking through
the wrong end of the telescope.  Leaving aside whether Science Online is
or is not a good deal, by that argument, doubling or quadrupling (or more)
our expenditures for every resource that moves from print to sitewide
online access will always look like a bargain because the cost per
institutional user (real or potential) will always be less than the cost
of an individual print subscription.  That's simply not a sustainable
equation.  We need to establish a new cost basis as online publishing
becomes the norm.  A more pertinent analysis would ask: how much does it
cost to publish online (and how much should it cost when appropriate
economies are applied), and what is a reasonable return on that
investment?  And those questions must be answered within the context of a
more fundamental question: how can the costs of online information be
contained at sustainable levels that will allow us to fulfill our
institutional mission to provide scholars with ready access to an
ever-increasing breadth of published output?  We won't begin to address
that larger question by applying print-based metrics to new publishing
modalities.

Ivy Anderson
Coordinator for Digital Acquisitions
Harvard University Library