RE: National Online: Nature and Others... (like SCIENCE)

> Leaving aside whether Science Online is
> or is not a good deal, by that argument, doubling or quadrupling (or more)
> our expenditures for every resource that moves from print to sitewide
> online access will always look like a bargain because the cost per
> institutional user (real or potential) will always be less than the cost
> of an individual print subscription.  That's simply not a sustainable
> equation.

I agree.  I would never argue that low per-FTE cost always equals good
value.  My argument is that in the particular case of Science (given the
level of use we expect and the quality of its content) my institution is
getting a bargain.  Another publication might be a rotten deal at the same
price.  Another publication might be a rotten deal at no charge, for that
matter.

Rick Anderson
Electronic Resources/Serials Coordinator
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno
1664 No. Virginia St.
Reno, NV  89557