Re: Nature Letter

That's exactly my point.  There's no way a licensee can warrant that no
one else will do these things, some of which eliminate fair use and 110
exemptions.  Furthermore, if this were simply a restatement of the law,
why does it have to be in the license?  That is, the law is going to apply
to me whether or not I promise to obey it in a contract.  And if this is
just a restatement of Title 17 and/or case law, why not just put "you will
comply with the copyright law"  and leave it at that.  I'd have no problem
with that.  It's precisely because these restrictions go beyond the law
that they are in there-

Peggy

on 3/23/01 7:09 PM, Victoria Mitchell at