Re: high priced journals

Note carefully the caveat, properly included by Dan, that this measures
only research use of titles by the faculty. It grossly underestimates the
use of review titles, undergraduate-interest titles, and so on. At at many
research oriented universities, the research done by the graduate students
and post docs is as important as that done by the faculty--and not all
faculty automatically add their names to their students' papers.

Some libraries are, of course, able to measure actual physical use. In the
absence of that, citation data is an acceptable surrogate if you keep the
limitations in mind.

Of course, many expensive research titles are used, but not cited. To take
an example, we spend very much more than $10,000 for Web of Science
(=Science citation Index), but not one person here has ever cited it.

Note also that Dan is speaking about a single field. It is not possible to
use this method validly across different subject fields. For example, I
collect for a dept of Ecology and a dept of Molecular biology, and the
citation density is very different. The unthinking use of this formula
would lead to my dropping all the ecology journals almost without
exception. This technique is not of help in balancing expenditures between
fields.

On the other hand, ignoring actual use and actual citations produces very
poor quality collections. A selector who does not select on the basis of
use will probably do as well by selecting by throwing darts at a list of
titles. A selector who selects on the basis of faculty opinion-- rather
than actual use-- will have a collection that reflects the previous
generation's use.

There was a time, though, when major research libraries could purchase not
just the titles needed by the current users, but those titles of potential
use in the future. Although I was not biology librarian here then, I can
tell from our holdings that we were still doing this in biology during the
60s very thoroughly across a very wide field. Since then we have
progressively been cutting back, and I have now reached the point where I
no longer fully support all current research from our own university's
holdings.

David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235