Re: manifest assent & which version?

David,

Speaking as someone without the benefit of legal experience in contract
law I'd like to make two observations. First, I heartily agree that your
point "this actually is tricky when a person is clicking on behalf of an
institution--the publisher must be able to argue that the click should be
attributable to the institution" would seem to be VERY tricky indeed. I
would of course argue that the person(s) responsible for paying the
invoice represent 'the institution.'

But more important, we have a negotiated and signed license with
Silverplatter, because there were a few provisions we wanted to have
changed. I'm curious about your view as to whether this kind of agreement
can be superceded by the fact that users might click through a posted
license agreement on the Web?

I would hope, though it may not be the case, that the institution is
agreeing only to the version that is brought to the attention of a clearly
responsible party. This should be relatively simple to determine, because
most information providers require contact name(s) and information when
subscribing to an electronic resource. How I wish our institutions were so
comfortably staffed that someone could be available to constantly monitor
changes to online licensing in order to determine that no one is agreeing
to a newly posted condition simply by using the provided resource!

Carole Richter
Electronic Resources Coordinator
University of Notre Dame Libraries
(219)631-8405