Re: Who is the subscriber

My library has not been able to afford to subscribe to either
ScienceDirect or Academic IDEAL.  We would like to get both, but I think
it unfair to base pricing on subscriptions sent to departmental libraries
on campus.  When I looked into pricing for IDEAL and found out that this
was being done, I expressed my disbelief to the sales rep.  Unlike library
subscriptions which are available to everyone on campus, departmental
subscriptions are available to only a handful of faculty.  The library
(and its budget) is being penalized for the existence of non-library
subscriptions on campus.

Publishers need to know that this is not an acceptable pricing
method.

Beth Jacoby
Head of Acquisitions/Serials
Health Sciences and Human Services Library
University of Maryland
601 W. Lombard St.
Baltimore, MD  21201-1512
Phone: 410-706-8856