Re: Who is the subscriber

This is a variation on the practice of a few more specialized publishers
who more simply price the institutional electronic rate at the sum of all
print subscriptions from individuals at that institution.  I know of no
way of dealing with it except to refuse to sign until the provision is
eliminated. There are several publishers who have insisted on this
provision, and I don't get their e-journals.

We all know that most large publishers, etc. are basing their pricing
strategy upon ensuring that any given library will never be able to pay
them less than they currently do now (with, of course, the expected annual
increases, compounded). It's become clear that they now mean the whole
university, not just the library. In their intent to cover all bases,
don't they see what will happen as all publishers use this strategy
simultaneously?  I assume they anticipate libraries will get a miraculous
influx of cash, because the alternative is that they have given up on
long-term prospects and are just trying to get as much income as possible
for the few remaining years.

David Goodman
Biology Librarian, and
Co-Chair, Electronic Journals Task Force
Princeton University Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu         http://www.princeton.edu/~biolib/
phone: 609-258-3235            fax: 609-258-2627