RE: Electronic Preprints...

The best article I know of on the impact of the e-print on Physics
/astronomy literature, with regards to CITATION patterns is Gregory K.
Youngen, "Citation Patterns to Traditional and Electronic Preprints in the
Published Literature" College and Research Libraries, Sept. 1998, vol. 59
no. 5 pp. 448-456.  This paper "identifies the growing importance of
electronic preprints in the published literature (of physics and
astronomy)...." The data is 'dated" because of the normal time lag for
this stuff, but Youngen, who is the physics/astronomy librarian at the U
of I Urbana Champaign has updated the data in the article. When I spoke
with him in September of 98, he indicated that 6-7% of current year
citations in phys/astronomy are to e-prints (and rising!)

Chuck Hamaker