Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 05:39:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Joseph P. and Connie M. Riolo <riolo@voicenet.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <cni-copyright@cni.org>
Subject: A Little Linguistic Playground

I am playing/toying with a new word.

If one desires to put his/her work in the public domain, he has to write
a statement to effectuate it such as "I put this essay in the public
domain".  This is fine for most people but the term "public domain" is
not intuitive because it does not resemble the term "copyright" in any
way.  Therefore, I propose a new word called "decopyright".  It means to
deprive a work of the copyright.

I do not have immediate access to the unabridged Webster's Dictionary
and Oxford English Dictionary.  Those who do may want to do us a favor
by looking them up for the word "decopyright".

Several examples of the usage on the word:

     I decopyright this essay.

     (A librarian speaking to a patron.)  Several decopyrighted books
     have arrived yesterday and you may want to borrow them today.

     (On the copyright page inside a book)
               Copyright 1999 by John Smith
              Decopyright 2005 by John Smith

     Unless it is decopyrighted, you have to ask the author for
     permission.

     My friend sometimes is a decopyrighter.

     Anything that is copyrightable is also decopyrightable.

I did a brief search at http://www.dejanews.com/ and found that there
was a post using the word "decopyright".  http://www.nlsearch.com/ and
http://www.altavista.digital.com/ also yielded several results but all
of them are in French and German languages.  I do not know what
"decopyright" would mean in these languages.

Well, what do you think?

Joseph Pietro Riolo
<riolo@voicenet.com>

P.S.  For whatever it's worth, I decopyright this post (meaning that I
put this in the public domain).