Re: SciFinder Scholar Contract (fwd)

Hello,

The Univ. of Denver is considering getting CAS's SciFinder Scholar
product.  However, even before we can trial the database and the interface
for 30 days, we need to sign a contract agreement with them before the
trial.  After talking with the CAS rep - Christopher Faine - I learned
that we could not sign two agreements, one for the trial, and then one for
the paid license.  (Maybe it is more of a case for the CAS to /strongly
prefer/ one contract?)  Once we sign a contract for the trial, it would
presumably be the same contract for the license, thus we could not make
any changes.

I do not see how it makes sense for us to involve our lawyer to look at
the legal wording of a contract BEFORE a decision on purchase is made.  I
would want our lawyer to make any necessary changes to the contract AFTER
the University has made a decision to purchase.  But, I guess that CAS
will not allow such changes.

I know that other institutions can't divulge the details of their contract
agreements with the CAS, but I would like to know how others have dealt
with similar situations - whether from the CAS or not.

I usually do not concern myself with vendor contracts, so I don't
know if this is typical of the CAS. (ie. We must sign a contract BEFORE
agreeing to purchase.)  I do know that many other science info vendors are
much more open to giving 30 day trials without making you sign a contract
first.

Do I have any alternatives?  Any thoughts - ideas?

Thanks,

Joe
Joseph R. Kraus   Science Librarian   Penrose Library
Univ. of Denver   2150 E. Evans       Denver, CO 80208
(303) 871-4586    jokraus@du.edu      http://www.du.edu/~jokraus