Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 13:07:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kimberly Douglas <kdouglas@cco.caltech.edu>
To: ann.okerson@yale.edu
Subject: Copyright notice at Caltech

Dear Ann

Here is the Copyright Warning notice that was approved by Caltech's
General Counsel's Office to place by terminals and scanners in the
Library, as you requested.

			NOTICE

		    COPYRIGHT WARNING

California Institute of Technology is an independent, privately
supported non-profit university, whose mission is to train creative
scientists and engineers by conducting instruction in an atmosphere of
research.  Accordingly, all reproductions made by or for patrons with
university affiliation must be for non-commercial educational 'fair use'
purposes as defined by 17 U.S.C. 107.  Also the Library has the legal
right to make single copy reproductions of articles, or contributions to
collections, or small parts of larger works for a patron's private study,
scholarship, or research (17 U.S.C. 108d).

'Fair use" is generally defined as:
1. the use of the photocopied material is academic in nature, for
non-profit, educational purposes.

2. The purpose of making photocopies is for time-shifting, i.e. to make
materials available for study at the patron's convenience, but not for
archival purposes.

3. The reproduction is for a single copy, either print or electronic, or
one original as opposed to multiple copies of the same original.

California Institute of Technology

If there is anything more I can provide you, please let me know.  I was
involved in preparing the report requesting this approval from the General
Counsel's Office.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Douglas
Director, Sherman Fairchild Library and Technical Information Services
Caltech Library System 1-43
Pasadena, CA  91125
818/395-6414 Voice; 818/431-2681 Fax; kdouglas@caltech.edu email

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense