Threaded Index

liability language

I recently ran across a license that provided a list of appropriate uses
of the data and included a sentence that said that the Institution signee
was liable for any violations of these appropriate uses by the Authorized
Users (previously defined in the contract).

I have several questions for the list.

Has anyone else run across this contract language and signed it?

Is there a difference of feeling on such language between corporate
institutions who might be expected to more closely control the behavior of
their employees and academic institutions?

And for information providers, can there be appropriate substitutions for
such language?  In this particular instance we proposed alternate language
such that we (the Institution) would work with the information provider to
identify and correct any violations.  This was not accepted by the
provider.

I see a shadowy parallel here to court cases where an internet service
provider was sued for the use to which their service was put.

Anyone care to comment or answer one or more of the above questions?

http://www.library.yale.edu/liblicense
© 1996, 1997 Yale University Library
Please read our Disclaimer
E-mail us with feedback