Re: Amazon boycott

Interesting and somewhat mis-placed I think. Amazon may not
directly collect the state sales tax and remit it to the
appropriate state, but all citizens are required to report the
sales tax they should have paid on online purchases, and did not
(such as Amazon purchases), when they do their taxes each year.
In this way, the state gets its sales tax. Maybe the action
should be an educational campaign to enlighten consumers as to
their tax obligations. I'm not naive enough to think that
everyone would comply, but 1) I'm sure their are tax payers out
their who don't realize that they are supposed to be reporting
this on their state taxes, and 2) attacking Amazon is not dealing
with the full issue.

There are other online retailers who also don't collect taxes;
Amazon is just the biggest target. If we really want to force
Amazon and other online retailers to collect sales tax and remit
it to the appropriate state, then perhaps we should be focusing
on legislators to develop legislation to force the issue, not on
individual companies.

Sincerely,
Cynthia Holt