Re: Open Access Citation Impact Advantage: weight of the evidence

What about when there is no evidence?  What about when you are
doing something new, so there is no data to examine?  How about
when you have to take a plunge on gut feeling, which is the case
for all innovations?  What happens when you try to take a
measurement too early, before the data has come in?  Can you tell
if someone is a shortstop or left-fielder during the first month
of pregnancy? Science is wonderful, but this thread and all these
discussions about the open access advantage are pseudo-science.
We should know better and focus not on OA as some kind of
replacement for traditional journals publishing but for what it
does uniquely, which is still evolving.

Joe Esposito