Re: Interview with Springer's Derk Haank

The University of Washington has been and continues to experience
exactly what Ivy Anderson warns in her excellent posts.  Budget
decreases, mid-year rescissions, and threatened further cuts have
left us with our backs against the wall.  To borrow from Ivy,
we've already hit the proverbial iceberg.

The big deals have been priced based on historical subscriptions.
If we still were able to maintain our own subscription lists, we
would have been cancelling journals that are included in bundles
for the last several years. But the bundle deals insist on zero
to minimal cancellations, percentage increases, and even require
adding titles the publishers start up or take over from others.
If costs go up every year, and our revenue goes down, there is
clearly a sustainability problem.

Over the last couple of years, we have discontinued one big deal,
and several smaller ones.  We have not joined any new ones.  We
will very likely have to leave other big deals going into the
next fiscal year.  In the case of the one big deal we left, it
was consortial and the consortium collectively had enough budget
issues that many libraries cancelled titles. We cancelled 23% of
our spend (about equal to our accumulated budget cuts) and lost
about 67% of our access to this particular bundle.  Why couldn't
we re-negotiate a package with 23% less access?

Maintaining the remaining bundles has cost our book budget,
databases, and independent journals dearly.  The remaining large
bundles account for an ever increasing portion of our budget.
Ebook bundle deals from publishers seem completely out of reach.

So to Mr. Haank: we have to say we definitely don't have access
to all the journals we could ever want.  Sadly, it's not so much
the libraries, but the researchers who are hurt by this.  I hear
publishers say all the time that they want their content
available and read by the researchers and scholars. This can no
longer happen in our environment.

Is it our fault for not advocating well enough?  you would have
to judge for yourself, but we respectfully disagree.

Diane Grover
Electronic Resources Coordinator
University of Washington Libraries
206-543-4786
grover@u.washington.edu

Tim Jewell
Director, Information Resources and Scholarly Communication
University of Washington Libraries
206-543-3890
tjewell@u.washington.edu