Re: The Library: Three Jeremiads (essay by Harvard's Robert Darnton)

This is a summary of what Darnton has written about elsewhere,
and there is nothing new here he hasn't said before.

The basic story he tells in Jeremiad 1 is one that he learned
from me when I was on the staff of Princeton University Press and
he was a member of its Editorial Board. He learned more from
those of us who served on the advisory committee he put together
prior to approaching Mellon with the idea for the Gutenberg-e and
Humanities E-Book projects. I provide a post-mortem on the
Gutenberg-e project in an article I published in 2009, which can
be found here:

http://www.psupress.org/news/SandyThatchersWritings.html.

You'll also find articles of mine there about "Open Access and
the Future of Scholarly Communication" (the subject of Jeremiad
2) and the Google Settlement (the subject of Jeremiad 3).

Note that the problem about which he writes in Jeremiad 1,
especially the plight of the scholarly monograph, is not in any
way solved by the proposal he makes for a National Digital
Library in Jeremiad 3. In fact, the plans to support Gold OA
publishing of journal articles he applauds in Jeremiad 2 actually
will further exacerbate the problem for monographs as more money
is drained away to support journal, but not, book publishing.

I address that problem directly in an article forthcoming next
month in Against the Grain, where I draw on some practices from
the past of book publishing--publishing by subscription,
patronage, and advertising--to suggest how they might be retooled
to make OA publishing of monographs possible in the future. I
conclude that article with a suggestion about how the entire
scholarly career of Robert Darnton could have been funded to
produce one dynamic, evolving, multidimensional scholarly
document that hints at the future of what the book could really
become in the digital age.

Sandy Thatcher