Re: Critique of OA metric

Well, having said that you can come up with any terms you like, I
now find myself pulling back at least from one of your
suggestions.  If by "quality filter" you mean the traditional
editorial process, then I must say that, no, that's now what
editors do at all.  It would be good if some of the editors who
mostly lurk on this list would speak up.  Are you a quality
filter?

I read your post while sitting in a restaurant.  When you look
over a menu, you make some determinations as to what to order.
We all know that the real creative work takes place in the
kitchen (analogy:  chef equals author), but there is something to
be said for the act of making certain determinations, and also
for seeing how one choice "fits" with another.  I don't think
that our representative diner would think of him or herself as a
quality filter. Choosing is a creative act.

It is understandable that authors should resent editors, since
editors sit in judgment over them.  This is as it should be, and
how it is.

Joe Esposito