From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Sent: 19 June, 2009 5:34 AM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Building collections at all

Production managers at most publishers will shudder to learn that
the Espresso machine will come into common use, unless its use is
restricted to the production of books that are otherwise
unavailable. The quality of book production will deteriorate
badly if the Espresso becomes the standard. It's like people
getting used to reading the 300 dpi that comes off of
photocopiers instead of the 1200 to 2200 dpi that is typical for
printed books. There goes some of the "value added" that
publishers pride themselves on....

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press